Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Runner Profile: Meet Duane

Duane is my sister-in-law's Dad (Liz's daddy!), who acts and says things just like my own father...which is pretty interesting. He's a very laid back guy that enjoys gardening, being outside and roasting pigs in his backyard for dozens of people (he's really good at it!). He's a true entertainer. :)

1. What is your favorite stretch?
I don't usually stretch....I start my run VERY slowly and once warmed-up I can increase my speed.

2. Do you have any pre-race rituals?
Eating something very light and making sure I don't have to use a porta-potty during my run or race!

3. What motivates you to run?
The rhythm of it all.....I love the rhythm....the sound of my feet and breathing is really soothing.

4. When did you start running?
The 1st time I ran was in Marine Corps boot camp.... I was 22. We always ran at the same pace...approx 180 steps-per-minute...I guess I just go used the the pace. I again started running in grad school...U. of Hawaii. I ran on the U of H track lots....I ran 5 miles on the track for my 32 birthday. Hawaii is where my running obsession really began. I would do research in my lab in the early A.M. followed by some class work....then a 10 mile run around Diamond Head and up Manoa Valley and back to the lab where I had a VERY COLD beer waiting...then down to the beach for some SUN. It was a GREAT time of my life.

5. Running shoe of choice?
Brooks...great heel counter for the over-pronator.

6. Best advice received?
My Company Commander in the corps was also a long distance runner....he advised me "to always keep the same pace...to go faster just increase the stride...up hills...just decrease the stride...but always keep the same pace and rhythm "

7. What do you think about when running?
I don't think I think...it's about the only time I truly have 'peace-of-mind'
8. What is something you cannot run without?
I cannot think of anything...however, I CANNOT run with a watch or ring...perhaps it's a 'balance' thing?

9. What race distance is your favorite?
10K

10. Most outrageous running story you've heard or experienced?
The MOST outrageous running story I have experienced.....My buddy and I had a GREAT running route around one of our many hills in Seattle. As I stated above...I never want..or need to use 'the facilities' during a race or run...so I ALWAYS take care of things before the run...my buddy did NOT! We were running in the very early morning hours...he had to go BAD....nothing was open...the was NO place to hide...it was a DIRE situation...until he spotted an unlocked VW on a side street. You must understand...this was an EMERGENCY....the VW back seat was a 'Facility of LAST Resort'!!!

I say: That's quite the story, Duane! ICK! LOL!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting! You're a rockstar!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...