Wednesday, November 18, 2009

New Meaning to WORKout

I'll admit, I have an exercise ball in my cubicle (it's pretty, and purple, and ROUND). Sometimes I use it to sit on instead of my ergonomically incorrect office chair, but I'll end up bouncing and balancing on the ball instead of focusing 100% on work. Or sometimes I just use it to stretch out my back (goodness, you can hear my spine sighing with relief!). I've attempted a couple cube push-ups using the ball, but there's not enough room for that. Overall, it's nice to have around, especially for the occasional "hey, let's do some sit-ups" as a break from the computer monotony. I guess it's a great stress reliever. ;)

My coworker and I started this everyday stretching routine that would get us off our butts at 2pm. Just get up and stretch! It feels amazing after sitting for long periods of time. Also, we take the stairs as much as we can instead of the elevator (and yet, they never seem to get any easier...hmmm). Even the little things at work that get you up and moving are truly worth it.

On Monday, another coworker bought an Ab-Roller and we wanted to try it out at work. Let's just say that that little contraption is evil and after only three (really tough) "rolls" I was done...and my abs are still reminding me.
As I'm on the subject of work, do any of you run during your lunch break? I know some of you do and I give you major props, by the way. Today was too good of a beautiful day to pass up an outdoor run, so I gave it a try. This will be a little long-winded (ha ha, 'winded!' Pun intended! & you'll know why). Good grief, it felt great, but I was reminded of why I hate running in downtown Seattle:
As I ran along the waterfront, there were wind gusts of up to 30mph just pushing me every which way. My hair kept whipping me in the face and I was just getting pissed. At one point I was struggling so hard going against the wind (on my return route) that after I ran behind a tree I actually fell FORWARD because the wind was keeping me upright. Don't worry, I didn't brody in front of all the noon joggers and transients...but I'm sure they were laughing. Oh, and also my nose was running and I seriously think snot was on the verge of flying out my nose (sorry, gross visual, but it's true!). I had to walk during those moments to regain composure from laughing and wiping my nose. Since there's a bajillion new construction projects going on downtown, there's "Sidewalk Closed" signs all over the place. At one point I was running across a street just as the hand was blinking and apparently a cement truck was turning onto the road I was on, led by a hardhat contractor who proceeded to yell at me "What do you think you're doing?!?!" as I crossed. I yelled back "Shut up!" because I was sick of dodging & weaving pedestrians and dogs on leashes and slow walkers and wiping my nose on my sleeve and stopping at stupid stoplights and being blown around like a ragdoll. Just get me back to my cubicle. But hey, I ran 5.06 miles in 43:34...even after numerous walking stints and stoplights! (Dude, I must've been flying for a couple minutes!) To top it off, Gus decided that he didn't feel like finding a satellite today; he's a little picky lately. Stubborn Gus. So I opted for my good 'ol Trailguru iPhone app. Oh well.
At least I got my run on.

16 comments:

  1. Wow - now that's one hell of a run! This post made me smile btw...kudos to you and your cubemates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, running downtown would suck. Me and Mel are not in a pedestrian-friendly area, though, but there IS a trail! Yay! I didn't like running in downtown Bellevue when I worked there (too windy and too many crosswalks), but the office had a gym with a small indoor track and a few treadmills. That was nice -- wish I still had that, but glad I don't work there anymore.

    Good job trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job on the run! I enjoy running at lunch time, helps break up the day... just takes me a long time to stop sweating afterwards... even after a shower. Love the office stretching though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the office stretching!

    Running at lunch is the only thing that keeps me sane. There are some really great places to run around Charleston and I also find that I eat better when I know I am going out for an afternoon run. That wind sounds crazy though. Nothing like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sit on a ball too! But I've never tried push ups at work - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I work part time so I don't really take a lunch break but even if I did I could not imagine running then. How do you clean up after? I have to shower after my runs so there is no way I could swing a run at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always run on my lunch....but I have trail galore and a shower..call me blessed. I passed up running today, good thing sounds like the wind was wicked.. I am hoping that the wind and rain END on Seattle Half day..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would just stick to running outside in Kent or the tready! I can't even imagine running around in downtown Seattle! I would have been pissed too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Very creative! Love it! When no one is around during lunch I do planks... but I gotta get on this exercise ball at work! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. when i was back in the home office (vs out in the field now) i used to go into an empty cubicle nearby and do pushups haha. not during lunch, just randomly during the day. helped wake me up and broke up the monotony, that's for sure! love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's intense, you are my hero.

    I run at lunch sometimes, but, my gym is less than .25 mile from my office, so, I walk there, run for 3-5 miles on the treadmill and clean up and walk back. I usually only run during lunch if I've got 3-4 miles--pushing 5 tends to get me a wee bit too sweaty (even after a shower) to go back to the office looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I'm just meeting you here for the first time, and I'm officially already jealous of you.

    I need that ball in my office, woman! But that wouldn't go over too well. Dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, if you get mad at one of your co-workers, you can throw the purple ball at them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehehe..

    The word Blimp makes me smile every time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahahahah your ball makes me think of that episode of the Office where Dwight has one and Jim stabs it with a scissors. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! You're a rockstar!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...