Wednesday, February 1, 2012

On the Hunt

Where have I been?  My "daily" running adventures are not being well documented here, unfortunately, in the past couple weeks and that's because I'm on the hunt for a big-girl job.

Yes, I'm going back to work.

After staying at home with Goober for the past 15 months, I'm looking forward to contributing my knowledge and skills toward a grown-up atmosphere again.  Don't get me wrong, Goober is a great running personal trainer and BOSS, but the compensation (hugs/smiles/laughs/kisses/squeals of delight) doesn't pay the bills.  Bummer, I know.  Wish they could!

In my old cube, tending to my office
plant--an orchid named "Buddy"
So I've been sending out e-mails and status updates asking for possible leads at Seattle-based companies...and man, job hunting is stressful.  After I graduated from college back in 2005, I thought that surely I would get a decent job right off the bat.  Not so!  I went through months and months of interviews, screenings, resumes, applications and then finally settled on becoming an administrative temp.  The feeling of failure was always there when I would come in "second" place for a job that I really thought I'd have a chance at getting.  It took a toll on my self-confidence.  But, becoming a temp was probably one of my best decisions because I got to work for large array of business types, environments and with some amazing people...and I eventually landed a great job at an even better company.  AND there were a dozen or so people that could write me a good job recommendation letter.  When it all comes down to it, it really IS about who you know.

But I can't go back to temping because I think I can do better this time around.  I have the background, the experience and the drive to get what I want...and NEED.

Now, I just have to go out and do it.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! I landed my first "career" job out of college. Then moved with my husband to a new town. I found my second career job through temping. I worked in that industry for 15 years. You never know who will notice the temp with the college degree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get one! I believe in you! I'm sure it will be hard to be away from Goober though. Wht kind of job are you looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on finding something great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went through this. It took me about a year to find something good.

    Find some good networking groups in your area. Meet new people. I set a goal of going out to coffee three times a week with people I meet at networking events.

    Most important though, don't lose patience and don't get demoralized. Getting turned down for a job is nothing personal....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the job search. I hope you will find the perfect job for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! You're a rockstar!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...